Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Nights out, and Fancy Birthday dinners.


YES finally 19 and I can drink legally in Canada! Ironically the drinking age in Japan is 20, but fortunately because we look like 29 year olds in Japan, we can drink anyways!

My birthday happened to be the same day that Dr. Ishikawa, the director of the hospital treated us all to a multi course dinner with a view of Nagoya Castle. It was some of the best food I've ever had, there were even a couple of birthday cakes. (I later learned this was the work of Hobara-san  our volunteer coordinator and one of the Doctors from my ward)



The guys in the lobby of the castle hotel. Fake sakura all the way,

Our view of Nagoya Castle.


Not the most flattering picture, but we're all drinking huge bottles of ASAHI.



Switch now to a rainy day in Sakae, busy downtown district of Nagoya. I split up with James and Simeon, and went to meet Takseshi at a Nagoya-jin recommended izakaya.


I should have taken more pictures of the food, not to mention the cooking method, but at least here you can see whats on display. Order anything and right in front of you it's grilled to perfection over charcoal fire.

The Japanese use very little spices, just salt and pepper, but the charcoal brings to life the flavour of the meat, and the taste is anything but drab. I can't think of any time that I've enjoyed  better tasting chicken, than  basic salt and pepper yakitori. 

Umai!

No comments:

Post a Comment